Off-the-beaten-path cemeteries hold history

Chubb Cemetery

Located at 38450 Warren Road, Westland:  As early as 1825, Glode Chubb, a known participant in the Underground Railroad, used to spirit slaves to freedom, purchased the plot of land now known as the Chubb Cemetery. It once housed a church and was used as a burial ground as early as 1849, based on a grave marker for Hannah Chubb, Glode’s 4-year-old daughter.

Deeded to the city of Westland in 1968, the burial ground had not been well-maintained, but a pair of Boy Scouts, Sam Berhardt and Jacob McNally, cleaned up the area and built wooden grave markers as part of their Eagle Scout project in 2015. Now the cemetery looks orderly, if not a bit out of place between two private residences, and includes a center walkway and flagpole.

Read more and watch the video here: http://bit.ly/fcotbp

Please follow and like us:
RSS
Follow by Email
Facebook
Google+
Twitter
SHARE
YOUTUBE
PINTEREST
www.linkedin.com/in/FreeCircle